Sunday, June 14, 2009

cooking

a friend recently texts our other friend while I was driving and it said "I need to learn to cook"

when we got to her house, we were like in theory you know how to cook, well its more actuality

we changed the statement to you need to learn to enjoy cooking

which I can totally relate to

this is something I have just recently learned to do.

when we were first married something i did for various reasons: we needed to eat, and its cheaper than eating out all the time (which we did do our fare share of) and well as the wife it was something i was supposed to do. it had actually nothing to do with liking to cook, or enjoying in the least. I actually thought i was defunct because everyone in my family down to my baby brother loves cooking and can do it with the greatest of ease, almost always without a recipe.actually when we got married I was quite happy letting my husband cook, because he actually liked it more than me

its been within the last 2-3 years that I have gotten more confident in my cooking, and even enjoying it. its only been within the last year that I've even dared trying something without a recipe and just within the last month that I've tried something without a recipe and it turned out not only edible, but delicious. (the great stir fry fiasco of '08 was my first attempt without a recipe and boy or boy was trying to make my own sweet and sour sauce a bad idea)

and you know what? cooking is fun. even more fun is cooking for others, that makes me happy.

and now that i have mastered enjoying cooking, I'm enjoying trying new things and experimenting. and finding healthier recipes and alternatives to things has been fun as well.

oh is this adulthood? or even further than that, preparation for being a mother?

1 comment:

Toni @ Imperfect Pregnancy said...

I've recently been pondering the whole cooking thing as well. I think I like to do it for others more than just for myself, and cooking for Luke and I is somewhere in the middle. The past two days I've done pretty good though.. I keep impressing Luke which is a good thing.

You're going to be a great Mom. And, really the first 3 years you only have to know how to make PB&J and hot dogs.